Young People Health
Ash Surgery aims to be seen as a young person friendly practice.
Whilst we would encourage young people to discuss problems with their parents we will respect your decision if you decide not to. Under such circumstances we are happy to see you on your own, or with a family member or friend of your choice to offer advice and support on any health matter.
Young People Confidentiality
At Ash Surgery we understand that the duty of confidentiality owed to persons aged under 16 is the same as that owed to any older person. The staff at this practice will not disclose any information- personal or otherwise- to any third party without the express permission of the person concerned. The only exception to this would be in the unusual situation when a person is deemed to be at risk of serious harm.
The Kent C Card scheme provides young people aged 19 and under with access to free condoms in places other than clinics. For further information, including how to register for a C Card and where you can pick up free condoms, please visit the Kent C Card Website
The practice offers free, easy and confidential chlamydia testing. For more information on Chlamydia please click here
The surgery offers free, easy and confidential advice about contraception.
Both planned contraception and urgent (previously called “morning-after” ) contraception.
It is important to understand that following an episode of unprotected sexual intercourse urgent contraception can be used and can be effective if used up to 5 days following the episode of unprotected intercourse. All our Drs are able to prescribe these, and our reception staffs are aware of the importance of making an urgent appointment for any young person under such circumstances.
Sexually Transmitted Infections
If you have any symptoms, signs of infection, sexual health related worry or concern, think you have a Sexually Transmitted Infection or have had sexual contact with somebody who has a confirmed or suspected Sexually Transmitted Infection then please drop in at, or make an appointment with the Gate Clinic in Canterbury.
- Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri 09.00 - 16.00
- Thu 13.30 - 16.00
- HIV pre- and post-test counselling, test results: allow seven days. Same-day HIV testing available if needed.
- Gate Clinic, Kent and Canterbury Hospital, Ethelbert Road Canterbury CT1 3NG Tel: 01227 783120 or visit the website
The clinic undertakes testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections (STIs). Please ring the sexual health information line 0300 790 0245 for more information about other clinics in Kent or visit this website
- Teen Girls Health and Teen Boys Health information is available from the NHS. They have lots of useful information and advice for teenagers on a wide variety of topics.
- Wired for Health: website has sites for young people covering a range of topics for 4 main age groups (5-7, 7-11, 11-14 and 14-16years)
- Wrecked and Wasted website – for information on drugs and alcohol.
- Talk To Frank: offers friendly and confidential drugs advice. It can help you find out anything that you want to know about drugs.
- Kent County Council help for Alcohol and Drug addictions
- Marie Stopes: for contraception, sexually transmitted infection advice, health screening and terminations.
- Family Planning Association: information about contraception and sexual health.
- Live it Well: Information about talking therapies available in Kent and Medway (help and support for numerous mental health issues such as depression, anxiety, addiction and many others).
- Guide to Menstrual Cycles & Mental Health
Have your Say, Join our Patient Participation Group
We would love to hear the voice of our young patients on our PPG. Why not join us at one of our meetings or join us as a “virtual” member by emailing us your views?
By using this site, you agree that we may store and access cookies on your device. Find out about our cookies.
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.